Sunday, February 27, 2011

SAMRA - O Childhood Dream 2011

Back in 1984, I took an elective Arabic literature course at the University California at Berkeley.  My professor, Dr. Munah Khoury, had published an anthology of Arabic poetry which included one of my favourite poems by the Lebanese poet extraordinaire, the late Saeed Ak'l.  In Arabic, it is entitled "Samra wa ya 7elm el Toufoulee" (Brunette O Childhood Dream). I copied the words and later in 1985 or 1986, recopied them as shown below and decided to one day do something with the words.


This year I have been going through the piles of sketches and sketched ideas and I finally got to do something with the poem's words.  My idea first developed into a profile within a profile, with the Arabic words of the poem's title following the contour of one of the profiles.


Then, I tired juxtaposing the old sketch and the two profiles but the result was messy.


My last trial resulted in the final sketch that you see below ( Samra at my website) shown below.


I am not sure if colour is needed, but for now grey indian ink will have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment